Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Google to Googe to Poem

Just came across this 'Google Valentine Day's Logo' of 2007 and it is interesting how much news is generated by anything related to google. So many articles, analysis, posts dissecting whether it was a genuine miss and if google is covering up by this official statement.

When you look at the logo, you may worry that we forgot our name overnight, skipped a letter, or have decided that “Googe” has a better ring to it. None of the above. I just know that those with true romance and poetry in their soul will see the subtlety immediately. And if you’re feeling grouchy today, may I suggest eating a strawberry.

So if you find the letter 'l' in the stem of strawberry then you are a google certified romantic. This led to me to a 16th century poet Barnabe Googe , most famous for the following line.

"I did but see her passing by, and yet I love her till I die."

What a line..I could not resist but doing a 'Googe' , oops 'Google' for the line and found this old song.

There is a lady sweet and kind,
Was never face so pleased my mind;
I did but see her passing by,
And yet I love her till I die.

Her gesture, motion and her smiles,
Her wit, her voice, my heart beguiles;
Beguiles my heart, I know not why,
And yet I love her till I die.

Had I her fast betwixt mine arms,
Judge you that think such sports were harms,
Were't any harm? No, no, fie, fie!
For I will love her till I die.

Should I remain confinèd there
So long as Phoebus in his sphere,
I to request, she to deny,
Yet would I love her till I die.

Her free behavior, winning looks,
Will make a lawyer burn his books.
I touched her not alas not I,
And yet I'll love her till I die.

Cupid is winged and doth range
Her country so my love doth change;
But change she earth or change she sky,
Yet will I love her till I die.

--Thomas Ford

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ansh said...

This beautiful piece was written by Thomas Ford if am not mistaken ..

10:19 AM  
Blogger Bibhuti said...

Yes, you are right. This piece is by Thomas Ford. But somehow Googe is famous(as per some hits I got) for using the line "I did but see her passing by, and yet I love her till I die."

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home